An Adult Study will examine: “Racism: Understanding and Response,” the important issue facing today’s America and how the church can respond. The class meets on Sundays at 9:00 am and repeats Wednesdays at 8:00 pm. The final two classes will meet the weeks of January 24 and 31. Pastors Peter Sulyok and Ashley Rossi will co-lead the class via Zoom. If you are not on the Carmel e-mail list, contact the church office at [email protected] to receive the access link.
The study group outline so far.
Part 1: Racism Defined and Recounted
- 09/20/20 Introduction to the Study: Read Forward, Preface, and Introduction, pp. v-xiv.
- 09/27/20 Defining Terms: Read chapter 1, pp. 3-13.
- 10/04/20 The Bible and Racism: Read chapter 2, pp. 14-23.
- 10/11/20 Statement from the Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly (June 26, 2002): “On the Church in This Moment in History—Responding to the Sin of Racism and a Call to Action; can be found at: https://www.pc-biz.org/#/search/3000727
- 10/18/20 1492-1954: European Colonialism and US Nation Building; US Apartheid, Colonialism and Neocolonialism: Read chapters 3-4, pp. 24-42.
- 10/25/20 1954-Present: Movement Time—from Overt to Covert; Post-Movement Time—Racism Redefined: Read chapters 5-6, pp. 62.
Part 2: Issues of Racism Today and Our Response